Monday, July 29, 2013

Back to School DIY - Backpack from Jeans


I don't know if it's late or not for back to school diy. Because in my country, Indonesia, school has already started from a couple of weeks ago. University hasn't started yet, and we still have one or two months for holiday, or more. But can we just said that university is a school too? Yeah I always think like that, I don't know. We study at University too, what's the different? I know several differences, but I still think that University is a school too. My friend also told me some differences between high school and college/university that I never realized before. I think it's not that late for school in another country, and at least school in my country will have another holiday in a few more days yeeaay :D.

I wanted to do this project for a long time ago, but never be brave enough to do it. I'm afraid to cut my jeans, even though I know this jeans will never be worn again. But I will never know the result if I never try it. So, I finally did it. Let me show you what I did with this old jeans and make a backpack! Hooray!

First thing first, you will need:
- Old jeans
- Needle and threads or sewing machine
- Fabric chalk
- Scissors
- Velcro straps
- Ribbon or any string

How?


1. Mark where you want to cut your jeans, use your backpack length to guide you.
2. Add 1 cm from the mark for seam allowance, and then cut the jeans.
3. Cut around the inside leg.


4. Flip the jeans inside out, then fold it sidewise like in the picture above.
5. Sew where the marks are.


6. Now unfold it, and you see the front part. Sew the bottom part. Sew it a little bit curvy at the points like in the picture above.


7. Next, flip the jeans inside so you face the right side of the jeans. Pinch the jeans like in the picture. This is for guiding you to make holes.
8. Then mark a line for a hole. Flip the pinch, and mark again. Flip the pinch again, and mark, this is the last for the left side. Make sure all the marks is at the same line, imagine it when you insert a string in it. Do this for the other side.
9. Cut the marks to make holes. I folded the mark in half then cut with scissors.


10. Now we have to make straps. Use the scraps from this jeans, the leg part. Be sure to just use one part. You will need the other part later.
11. My straps are 23 cm x 3,5 cm. First cut two strips with width 9 cm (7 cm from 2x3,5 cm + seam allowance). I know the leg part is not long enough for backpack straps, so I cut two for each straps. When this two strips are connected, the length must be the length of the straps you want. Don't forget seam allowance every edges.
12. Face the right side together, sew these two strips together to make one strap.
13. After that, fold the strip lengthwise with right side facing each other and then sew.
14. Do this to make another strap.


15. Next step is to put on the straps to backpack. Pin it where you want it to be, then sew. Look at the picture to help you. You can see your existing backpack for the place. Before you sew it, it's better to test it how it looks.

16. With another scrap of jeans leg, we want to make the closure. First, place the scrap to the backpack to see where we should cut it. Then mark, and cut. Don't forget seam allowance.
17. Flip it inside out, then sew. Leave some inches for flipping.
18. Flip inside out again, then sew the gap.
19. Sew it on to wrong side of the backpack, overlapping the sewn straps. Don't overlap the holes.


20. Sew or glue velcro straps to the closure. If you use glue, please use fabric glue (I found uhu textile glue at Gramedia Matraman, Jakarta).
21. Insert ribbon or any string (ex. shoe string)  to the holes.
22. Pull the string. The backpack should has been pinched like we did before.
23. Tie the string, close the backpack, and.... there you have jeans backpack!

Hooraaay! Throw the confetti!



I think this is my favorite project so far. How is my backpack turned out? You can decorate it if you want. I'm still thinking of how I want to decorate it. I want to add pockets and a bow, but maybe later.
Do you like this project? Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment box below. But don't forget to click the publish button hehe. Don't worry, I won't bite you :P

Stay tuned for next back to school ideas. I will make a list of my favorite back to school diys that I found (or will find) on the internet. If you have a back to school diy, you can share your link to me :D

Peace,

Bone

30 comments:

  1. Hola Bonita!
    I love this idea, it's so cool.
    I'm pinning it. Xo, Elba // live colorful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Elba!
      I'm so glad you like it. Thank you so much for pinning it. It really means a lot to me :D

      Delete
  2. What a way to promote that video at the beginning, Boncch! Hahaha!!

    OMG I think this one is your most amazing DIY by far! Everything has been awesome, but this just takes it to the next level! Instead of making this myself, I'm gonna ask you to make it for me. MAKE IT, BONCCH! *whip whip*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Raf! Your support is the best! I will make it for you if you have a nice jeans that you don't care anymore for me to cut. Haha :D

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the pattern (+ guide). I am going to pin this, and make later. My extra idea is to make a pocket in the overlap. With a zipper at the spot where ist is sewn at the bag. So (little) things won't fell out. And are save for foreign hands. But also easy accesable and findable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome :). Thank you so much for pinning this. Your idea is awesome! You should add it (the pocket). I want to add pockets too, maybe two pockets in the front and add velcro, but I think zipper is better :D

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog through Totally Tutorials! Awesome backpack! I'm pinning too and adding your to my Bloglovin' feed. This backpack has so many possibilities. And I have plenty of old jeans. Oh, and we started back to school today in our county, and many go back next week. So that kind of gives us a weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the backpack idea! We start back to school today, but some start next week. Still not too late, though. I found you through Totally Tutorials and will add you to my Bloglovin.com feed. Also pinning! So many possibilities with this tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you like it, and I'm really happy if this diy is helpful. I'm relieved that it still not too late. I have some old jeans too, but I was too scared to cut them until I tried this haha. You should try to experimenting with your old jeans too. Thank you for telling me that this post was posted in Totally Tutorials, I just knew because of you! Wow, today really made me happy! I'm kind of nervous though. Thank you so much Tammy, you really made my day :D

      Delete
  6. Amazing I love making bags from Jean just made one for my daughter all her friends wanted one I also took the toms bag from shoes paired in with Jean and made a bag. I am making this bag tomorrow. Very very amazing . Thanks for posting this rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Wow you are so creative! I'm curious of how your creations turned out. Your daughter is so lucky. Thank you so much, great to know you like it :D

      Delete
  7. What a great idea and tutorial. I found you through Totally Tutorials and I am now in love with your blog. So many cute and simple dyi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooowh thank you so much Elsie *blushing*, I'm happy you love it! :D

      Delete
  8. Keren banget, Bone!!!!! Ga nyangka bisa buat ransel dengan modal satu celana jeans aja! Jenius!! Makasih untuk tutorialnya yah :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iya sama-sama Onel. Aduh aku jadi malu hehe. Makasih banyak ya, Onel juga jenius dan keren-keren tutorialnya :D

      Delete
  9. THANKYOU! I have been trying to get a backpack for school but I dont have enough money to do it. Now I can make one. I hope my parents let me lol. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome :D! Remember to use jeans or trouser that you no longer wear. If you explain it to your parents, I think they will let you. If you have any question, feel free to contact me on email ;). I hope you enjoy making it. Good luck!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thank you for your fantastic comment :D

      Delete
  11. Aku udah bikin jeans backpack berdasarkan tutorial kamu ini. thanks ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aku udah bikin jeans backpack berdasarkan tutorial kamu ini. thanks ya. ditunggu tutorial2 keren lainnya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waaah aku udah lihat dan hasilnya baguuus! Makasih ya udah diberitahu kalau udah mencoba. Senang melihat hasil karya orang lain :)

      Delete
  13. Lovely! Making bags out of jeans is so much fun :) I'm going to do this when my current backpack falls apart

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is just brilliam !!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow you such a talented girl!!! super duper love the tuto :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you, you are so nice! I hope you enjoy the DIY! :D

      Delete